May 22, 2009

Psalm 128

Blessed is every one that feareth the LORD; that walketh in his ways. For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee. Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table. Behold, that thus shall the man be blessed that feareth the LORD. The LORD shall bless thee out of Zion: and thou shalt see the good of Jerusalem all the days of thy life. Yea, thou shalt see thy children's children, and peace upon Israel.

I love this psalm for several reasons.

1. Advice on family dynamics
a. Fear the LORD and walk in his ways
b. Work for a living and provide for your family
c. We are to be happy with what God has provided us

d. We are to produce fruit
e. Huge blessing in training our children to love the LORD
f. We will see results from living a life fearing God.

2. Reminder as my duty as a wife and mother
a. Nate works to provide and I have a duty to prepare the food that his money provides us.
b. Encourage my husband when he's overwhelmed with work.

c. Be happy and full of fruit for the sake of showing my family the blessings of living a life serving God and my husband.
d. Enjoy cooking for my family. It's a blessing that God has given me the ability and opportunity to fix great m
eals for the family. The best memories I have as a child is pulling up to the counter and watching mom make bread, or cut up chicken, or homemade pizza, or cookies, etc. It's another way that we can demonstrate our love for our family.

3. My guidelines for baby names
a. Drew Montgomery
Verse 6
We desired to carry on my maiden name to give honor to my grandpa and father.
b. Finn Asher

Verse 1
The Hebrew word for Blessed in the first verse is Asher. Asher means both a condition (blessed) and a human reaction (happy.) And that is how we feel about him. Check out Genesis 30:13. Leah said, Happy am I, for the daughters will call me blessed: and she called his name Asher.

(Info from Beth Moore in Stepping Up)
c. Gives me some great ideas for a girl's name.
Olive, Zion, Vine, Aster (scientific classification of olive)

Okay, now the real reason I began my post. I got distracted a little.
Instead of dismissing the olive plant connection, I desired to go a little deeper and see if Drew and Finn are as olive plants around our table.

1. The leaf is a symbol of abundance, glory, and peace.
Nate and I both feel abundantly blessed with our two boys. Instead of being angry and hurt all the time with all the things I thought Nate was doing wrong, having Drew gave me the opportunity to focus on all the things Nate was doing right. We truly feel with all our heart that having a baby brought our marriage some peace.

2. Used to crown the victors of games.
As discouraged as I can get about my faith, or my ability as a wife, or my dirty house, my two boys think I'm great, for now. We are not perfect parents but our kids are our crowns.

3. The oil is used for a energy source.
They are definitely a source of energy.

4. Branch was brought to Noah demonstrating that the flood was over.
I am reminded of the promises of God every time I look at my boys. The instant I held them in my arms I knew we were in for some glorious days ahead. I am thankful for every single day that God gives me to spend with them.

5. They are extremely long living when pruned correctly and regularly.
Discipline does them good, even when it hurts me as a mom to punish them. My biggest desire as a parent is to encourage a personal relationship with Christ and a life that honors God. Sometimes I let some battles go so that I can concentrate on the stuff that really matters.

6. Begins as a seed and can be years before producing fruit.
They are not perfect. They are growing. They are learning to live for Jesus.

Now I am resisting urge to buy two of these trees.
Or two of these.

Now, the part of the psalm that talks about the wife as a fruitful vine, to me that means have another baby. Nate views it a tad differently. He thinks I need to work on my Fruits of the Spirit. Sigh.

As I was working on my blog, this is what Finn was up to.

You little olive plant, you.
Another bottle of shampoo wasted.

No comments: