Jan 6, 2011

Good intentions

I think that God looks at my intentions like I look at my yarn stash. There is the potential for good works, but right now they are just sitting there looking pretty. I've done the research, watched Youtube videos to learn new stitches, printed out patterns, and I know the lingo (k1, p2, yo, bind off) but every time I sit down to start a project I choke. "What if I run out of yarn? My circular needles are too long. Is this what I want to do with this color? What if it doesn't fit? I know, I'll make a hat for the new baby. No, I really want to make a sweater for the new baby. But wool is itchy and I don't have cotton."

I found notes on a sermon that said it better than I could... the only changes I made was to put in the current year.

I’m sure many of us have made New Years resolutions for 2011 with good intentions. Yet, how many of us have started on them? Or, failed in the first week of this year? Good intentions are good because it’s in our hearts; however, there’s more to just having good intentions. In fact it’s important to God for us to move beyond our intentions. And, He was pretty serious about them.

“'What do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, “Son, go work today in the vineyard.” And he answered, “I will not”; but afterward he regretted it and went. The man came to the second and said the same thing; and he answered, “I will, sir”; but he did not go. Which of the two did the will of his father?’ They said, ‘The first.’ Jesus said to them, ‘Truly I say to you that the tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the kingdom of God before you.’” (Mat. 21:28-31)


Isn’t this interesting? This scripture shows us a contrast between good intentions and moving beyond good intentions. In this scripture Jesus was conversing with the Pharisees. As it goes, the first son said he’d go, but didn’t. Later, he felt bad and moved beyond good intentions. Whereas, the second son said he’d go and then didn’t. Most importantly, the one who did the will of the father was the defining difference. This teaches us was about bridging the gap between intentions and action.


This also tells us the tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the kingdom of God before the Pharisees. Why? Well although the Pharisees were filled with good intentions, they did nothing with their intentions. The same goes for us in 2011. How many of us are serious about getting beyond good intentions? If you are, you are well on your way.


I've hesitated making resolutions this year, because why should I set myself up to fail? I do it every year, I make the list and then by the time I've flipped to my February calendar I have already forgotten them. I pray that when 2012 arrives, Lord willing, I will be able to look back and see that I have acted on my good intentions...

study DAILY. pray HARDER. give WILLINGLY. eat LESS. get STRONGER. knit MORE. blog WEEKLY. clean BETTER. sew FASTER.

Why does this sound so much like Daft Hands?


1 comment:

Katie said...

Thank you, Joni! This is great. It sort of reminds me of a message I heard on Victory FM the other day about how easy it is to consume ourselves with the urgent things and leave the important undone. Urgent= needs to be done today or right now and important= doesn't have to be finished right now but must be started prior to the due date. It has been a great reminder to reevaluate my skewed definition of urgent.

I didn't make any resolutions this year except to resolve to take each day at a time and remember that each one is new... so I'm not a failure if I miss one day of devotions, excercise, whatever. Tomorrow's a new day!

Good luck and better yet, the very best of God's blessings on your intentions this year!